ISFR Report: Last 2 . India’s forest and tree cover increased by 2,261 sq km in
– World Affairs SRS
Union Environment Minister, Bhupender Yadav has launched 17th Edition biennial ‘India State of Forest Report (ISFR)’ 2021. Issued by ISFR Forest Survey of India (FSI), To assess the country’s forest resources every two years since 1987. India’s forest and tree cover increased by 2,261 square kilometers in ISFR 2021 as compared to the 2019 estimate. This includes growth. 1,540 square kilometers in forest cover and a 721 sq km Increase in tree cover.
Key findings of ISFR 2021:
- The forest and tree cover in India is now 8,09,537 sq km. The total forest cover is 7,13,789 sq km (21.71% of the geographical area) and the tree cover is 95,748 sq km (2.91 percent of the geographical area).
- The total forest and tree cover in the country now covers 80.9 million hectares or 24.62% of the country’s geographical area.
- The top five states in terms of increase in forest area are Andhra Pradesh (647 sq km), Telangana (632 sq km), Odisha (537 sq km), Karnataka (155 sq km) and Jharkhand (110 sq km).
- region wise, Madhya Pradesh It has the largest forest cover in the country after Arunachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Odisha and Maharashtra.
- The top five states in terms of forest area as a percentage of total geographical area are Mizoram (84.53%), Arunachal Pradesh (79.33%), Meghalaya (76.00%), Manipur (74.34%) and Nagaland (73.90%).
- An increase of 17 sq km has been registered in the mangrove cover in the country as compared to the 2019 estimate. The total mangrove cover in the country is now 4,992 sq km.
- The top three states in terms of increase in mangrove cover are: Odisha (8 sq km), Maharashtra (4 sq km) and Karnataka (3 sq km).
- The total carbon stock in the forest is estimated to be 7,204 million tonnes.
- This includes an increase in the country’s carbon stock by 79.4 million tonnes in 2021 compared to 2019.
Find more ranks and reports here
this is an unedited and auto-generated supporting article of the syndicated news feed are actualy credit for owners of origin centers. intended only to inform and update you about Sakari naukri , result , UPSC , Exam Jobs etc. for Provides real or authentic news. also Original content may not have been modified or edited by Rojgar samachar team members.